Capped Claws-Teeth Pendants
Capped Claws-Teeth Pendants
Everything is available in any gold or silver…
Capped Claws-Teeth Pendants – costs
The cast caps are: silver - $60 each 10k gold- $350 14k gold- $450 Constructed caps are: silver - plain or engraved $70 14k paw on silver $90 14k gold - $450 Sorry, We can Not accept any Animal parts that are transferred across International Borders, so a personal one of a kind fit is for Canadian friends only....others can send pictures and measurements .... We do not supply or sell the claws or teeth.
CAPPED CLAWS-TEETH PENDANTS
What I Need for your cap…
Canada Customs frowns on sending any claws through the mail…. …SO…..You can send pictures, or if it is an unusual shape, and can’t send it to me over International Borders, then you can use the paraffin wax method.
The 2 methods , cast and constructed, can both be done.
– Imagine a finger ring, put in a vise and squished from round to oval….now add a top cap and jump-ring for the chain. – Pics 1 and 2 below…( not necessary to have any design or ‘things’ on the side.)
– a wax mold is made and the tooth set in.
– I would carve a piece of wax or use wax sheet , ( my wax is made of %60-80 plastic and %40-%20 paraffin wax ) make it fit precisely on the tooth…./ then shape the outside to match the design or curve of the tooth….
– To make a piece without having it in my hand requires you to do a little wax work.
– take the tooth, place a piece of cling-wrap around the tooth and dip the tip ( size of the desired cap ) into melted paraffin wax, ( picture 4 is a Saber-Tooth tigers tooth paraffin wax mold from a customer in Indiana…. picture 5 is the cleaned up cap all cast in 10k gold )
– paraffin wax can be bought at any local store …they use it for sealing home-made jam ….or… melt down a candle in a jar that is in a pot with water
– I’ll send you info on this method if you wish…
– then, send it to me and I will clean , shape and attach a jump ring…
– I’ll send it to my casting guy and then detail it when it returns…( pics 5-6 and 7 )
Costs for the plain constructed cap would be $60 -$80 for silver and maybe $2-400 for gold , ( depends on size etc ).
Cost of the Cast Cap depends on size , material and is in my caster’s hands…so…from $80 to $500 ( silver / gold ? )
Take 3 IN FOCUS pictures next to a ruler and send me 3 pictures of the claw or tooth that show the three dimensions…height, width and depth.
HOW TO SET THE CAP ON A CLAW
- Caps will be rough on the inside
- Trim the claw , (File, belt-sander… )to the 3 dimensions given for your cap, as seen in the 1st 2 pictures.,
- Make sure it fits….. claw corners are rounded like the cap and tooth and may have to be squished to get the cap on.
- A little loose is OK but test the fit …adjustments will come later.
This is a test run for when the epoxy is applied you will only have 5 minutes before the epoxy starts to set !
- Drill small holes, ( 1/16″ or so ) at angles around the top and inside ( 2nd set of pictures).
- Apply Mixed epoxy ( 2 part, 5 minute), it into the holes , top of claw, and inside cap
- Put the cap quickly on the claw and close any gaps. or loose fitted sides tight with a rubber mallet, wooden hammer, and block of wood, or, tap on a leather strap to close it, or vice with wooden jaws……anything except smacking it with a chunk of metal ( bare hammer face ).
- The Timing will change between each application depending on the amount of hardener used, or temperature, but, after 10-15 minutes the epoxy may be sturdy enough to be cut….you can cut around the cap’s edge and then push the epoxy into any gaps.
- Your biggest problem is buffing the cap after all the glue is gone….since you may not have the tools that I use be extra cautious not to scratch the cap when you take off the excess epoxy.